Tuesday 17 September 2013

A new project on its way

It is already the second day for my school and I think we started well. We agreed with the students of all classes about the schedule - thank God, I didn't have to play Sudoku this year to fit all their after-school activities! Then, I talked to them about the project that my colleague, Theodora Papapanagiotou, has in mind and I want to help with. All seemed very excited and liked the idea. I had already written a permission letter for their parents to sign as they are teenagers, Ι distributed it and then we discussed about the topics they want to cover in the project. As expected, they wanted to present their home town. I think it is a topic they feel confident about. They have already read and worked on texts from coursebooks about other cities and they have certainly taken part in cultural projects in their school.

The next thing I had to do was to explain to them what steps are about to follow. I don't know whether they have realised it or not, but I gave them homework to do for our next meeting. They have to bring their text so that we read them, make any changes if necessary and so on. I just warned them not to copy from a site because their speech won't sound natural and the issue is not to present a perfect language but too scholar. I want them to get engaged and speak in the video naturally. At least, I think that is the core point of communication.

Well, we see how it goes - never forget that teenagers get easily enthusiastic but somewhere on the way they lose interest... In my next post I will tell you how we have worked on the texts (if any!). I have some ideas about it.... till later then!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you got so enthusiastic about it!!! I can't wait for the results and I am re-posting this on the group page!

    ReplyDelete